Compliance with established warehouse fire safety codes is a given. The codes are essential and designed to prevent dangerous warehouse conditions that could lead to a fire. Codes also ensure that systems design and suppression measures are in place to enable an evacuation of personnel should a fire begin. That’s the paramount function as it should be… the safety of the people in the warehouse.
What compliance shouldn’t be confused with is the thought that as long as your facility is in compliance, and a fire starts, you will have the systems in place to put it out. That job must be left to the fire fighters. But, there are supplemental fire safety products that can help firefighters and significantly reduce inventory damage, structure damage and of course improve the safety of your personnel.
Apex safety spotlight is here to shine the light on some of these concepts and practices so that you can ask the right questions when equipping your facility and or auditing your overall warehouse safety preparedness.
Fire Safety Components
Required Compliance Features:
- Emergency Lighting – battery operated lighting illuminate evacuation pathways
- Means of Egress – walls, floors, doors, etc. that protect the path of exit for personnel in an emergency
- Fire & Smoke Alarm Systems – cut through the noise of the warehouse to alert staff to evacuate
- Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems – come in many forms and must be spec’d based on state codes, building size and type, and stored inventory criteria
Additional Safety Measures to Consider:
- In-rack Sprinkler Systems – need to be determined by a Fire Protection Engineer
- Fire Baffles – steel decking affixed under rack bays or along rack to provide a fire/heat barrier, helpful in concentrating heat for effective sprinkler use
- Suppression Systems – slow down the progression of the fire, type of system must be matched to individual facility
- Clear Signage – exits, fire alarms and fire extinguishers should be well marked and easy to find
- Regular Safety Drills – ensure personnel evacuation paths and alternative paths to exit, how to use fire extinguishers, how to report a fire
- Inventory Changes – fire safety is tied directly to the flammability of the inventory, changes must be made to your safety measures for new inventory that can pose an increased fire risk
The money invested in these additional prevention, detection and suppression measures can be realized most importantly in the safety of your people, but also in damage cost avoidance should there be a fire in your facility.
The Apex team is here to walk you through the process and ensure that all code regulations pertaining to your facility and inventory are covered. We can also suggest any meaningful additional fire safety components that would fit your individual needs. In addition, the Apex Rack Repair Mobile App can help ensure the safety of your rack systems to come full circle on your overall facility safety protocol.
The Apex Rack Repair Mobile App is a free mobile app that walks you through a complete pallet rack safety audit. It will capture all the specs needed to order a customized repair kit should damage be significant enough to require repair. Alternatively, the Apex PROs can complete your audit and prepare your repair specs on your behalf. Here’s more on both options…
This revolutionary mobile app provides Do It Yourself capability to conduct a complete pallet rack system safety audit. The app prompts you for key specs and photos as you identify system damage on columns, struts, baseplates, anchors, and beams. You can also take notes about wire decking, supports, load deflection, proper flue space, and more.
If all that sounds like something you’d prefer to Leave it to the PROs … Apex still has you covered. Apex PROs rack inspectors will come to you and handle your complete audit using the Rack Repair Mobile App.
Our Promise – Whether DIY with the app or a PRO audit you’ll receive a comprehensive rack inspection report with an independent solution recommending steps for system repairs and maintenance.
Safe, “healthy” facilities are key to warehouse optimization. The Apex Rack Repair Mobile App is here to help. Download the FREE app today, call our expert team or visit our website for more information.