Up, Down and All Around, Metal Mesh Products
Wire deck is a common pallet rack accessory. It is made from a metal mesh that is designed to fit securely into place between the front and rear rack beams. It forms a foundation for placing inventory, most often non-palletized product, preventing it from falling through the rack. The mesh design is unique in that it allows for water and light to pass through as opposed to a solid surface like plywood, for example. Yet, it provides a firm foundation particularly for cartons, cases, eaches, non-standard-sized pallets, etc.
Advantages of Wire Deck:
- Versatile storage option
- Improved employee safety
- Helps support broken or bad pallets
- Ideal for hand stacked applications (non-palletized)
- Supports odd-sized pallets
- Meets fire safety requirements
- Mesh material allows fire to be detected quickly
- Improves sprinkler effectiveness
- Can reduce insurance premiums
- Flared Channel Deck (pictured right)
- Step Deck:
- Outside waterfall deck
- Inverted channel deck
- Inside waterfall deck
- Upturned deck
- Flue Decking
As there are several design styles of wire deck, there are also several common patterns to satisfy your inventory needs. Here are the most common:
- 1” x 2”
- 1” x 4”
- 2” x 2”
- 2” x 3”
- 2” x 4”
- 4” x 4”
- 2 ½” x 4”
Wire deck design is divided into two general types – Flared Channel Deck and Step Deck. Flared channel deck is used for structural or box beams and occasionally for step beams. Step decks are designed for use with step beams, as the name suggests. Within those two categories are specific channel designs which serve as the supports for the deck. The channel options vary with the types of pallet rack beams on which they are installed, such as, step, ledge, box or structural.
Wire decking can be used between back-to-back rack configurations to prevent product from falling through the flue space in the rear of the racks.
Wire Deck Accessories:
There are several options to help provide unique storage and picking areas on the wire deck shelf. Organized SKUs provides more efficient and accurate put-away and picking.
- Hanging dividers – hook to the deck above
- Freestanding dividers – clip to the deck and protrude up
- Carton stop – provides a divide between cartons
There are a variety of wire gauge options available depending on your inventory needs. Gauge options range from 2, 4, 5 and 6. You can also choose from several finishes including powder coat, oven-baked enamel, hot-dipped galvanized, pre-galvanized, or electro-zinc plated. Choosing your finish will depend on the environmental conditions within the warehouse.
Rack Safety Audit – DIY or Call the PROs
Accidents happen despite your best efforts to protect your team and your investments. Don’t go it alone! The Apex Rack Repair & Safety Program offers 2 easy options to evaluate the structural soundness of your entire pallet rack system. Choose which option works best for you and your team:
1. The Apex Rack Repair App is a proprietary app that guides you through a complete pallet rack system audit and allows you to capture needed specs for custom rack repair solutions.
2. The Apex PROs professional rack inspectors will come to you and conduct a thorough audit using the Rack Repair Mobile App.
Our Promise – Whether DIY with the app or a PRO audit you’ll receive a comprehensive rack inspection report with an independent solution recommending steps for system repairs and maintenance. Download the FREE app today.